Friday, January 25, 2019

What I've learned in 100 days of being a school nurse...

It's been awhile since my fingers have found this proverbial keyboard to write a "blog post", but I'm entering a time that I think my soul will find a lot of respite in tapping away on these keys.  I've always found writing to be a sort of refuge and cathartic way of expressing myself, so I decided to come back to this old blog, dust off this keyboard, and begin writing again. 

To start I just thought I'd share some experiences from my new job as a school nurse and what I've learned.  We officially hit the 100 days of school mark this week, and there were all sorts of celebrations going on in the school.  My favorite had to be the parade of all the kindergarten students in cute little DIY t-shirts that celebrated the 100 days of school.  There were several kiddos that had glued 100 googly eyes on the shirt, I saw a girl with a photocopied 100 dollar bill on the front of her shirt, a little boy with 100 dinosaur stickers on his shirt, and maybe my favorite the little one with an entire 100 piece puzzle glued to the front of his shirt!  Even the teachers joined in the fun with their decorated t-shirts!  It was so fun to see all the cute little kiddos parading through the office with their shirts and 100 shaped glasses!  So what have I learned in these 100+ days as a school nurse?  A lot...I've learned a lot!!  My first lesson...(which I had already sort of learned as a sub nurse)...Ice cures anything!!  Bump an elbow?  Give them Ice!  Scrape a knee?  Give them a band aid and Ice!  Have a headache?  Give them Ice!  I've not quite figured out what is so magical about Ice, but there is some sort of magical thing that happens once a child has ice in their hands!  Lesson number 2...You can never have enough tissues!  I swear sometimes I go through an entire box in a single day!  Lesson 3...I wear many hats!  What do I mean by that?  Well, in a given day I will usually play the roll of obviously a nurse, but also a counselor, a waitress, a glasses repairer, a shoe cobbler, a mom away from mom, a vision screener, an immunization record keeper, a dentist, and an entomologist (bug person) just to name a few!!  To say that being a school nurse keeps me on my toes would be an understatement!  What else have I learned?  Most importantly I've learned that while being a school nurse is all these fun and light-hearted things, it is also harder and more involved than I ever would have dreamed!  I've learned that my role is not just to be there for the physical well-being of these students I care for, but also their emotional and even mental well-being as well!  For some of these kids, my interaction with them however small it may be, could be one of the few positive interactions they experience during that day.  Those 7 hours or so they are at school could be the only time they see positive adult roll models.  Their school lunch could be the only well balanced meal they get every day.  I've learned to not take this job or my few moments with these kids lightly at all!  I do my best every day to be a positive adult in these childrens' lives!  This job has opened my eyes and opened my heart to so many both wonderful and heartbreaking things, but at the end of the day I wouldn't want to be doing anything else!  There's nothing like having a little 6 year old walk up to you for no reason and just say "Can I hug you nurse?"!!  I love my job and I feel like I now have about 450 kiddos to call "my own"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment