Thursday, May 10, 2012

Heeding the call...James 1:27

For as long as I can remember, I have had a heart for children and orphans.  God has blessed me with a very tender heart from a very early age.  I can remember being a little girl and sobbing when I heard a song on the radio about a little girl who was abused and taken from her parents.  My young heart ached for that little girl not having a mommy and daddy that loved her like I was so blessed to have.  Then as I teenager I would watch the show on the Discovery channel 'Adoption Stories' and again sob seeing those precious children being united with their new families.  So, now as an adult I find myself still being drawn to and touched by adoption stories and orphans.  Over the past several months, I have felt such a stirring in my heart and God calling me to something more, but I wasn't sure what.  I prayed about it and sought Him for guidance, but was still unsure of exactly what I was supposed to be doing.  I started a class at the amazing church I've been going to and one day during the class the question was asked "If money were no object, what would you do with your life?"  Immediately and almost a little unexpectedly my first thought was "I would quit my job and adopt as many kids as I could and just love on them and be a mom."  After class my leader told me about a book called Kisses From Katie about a young girl who left her life here in the U.S. right after high school and went to Uganda to work with children.  God lead her to stay there and she is now mom to 14 little girls.  I began reading the book, and God began speaking to me immediately through this amazing story.  Katie has also started a ministry called Amazima Ministries and through that website I found a link to another organization called Visiting Orphans.  I scrolled through their list of upcoming mission trips to various countries just browsing.  But then my heart skipped a beat when I came across one to Uganda that would be serving in several orphanages including one called Amani Baby Cottage.  I knew in that moment this was where God was calling me!  How much more perfect could a trip be for a girl who is a NICU nurse and works with babies for a living!  I officially registered for the trip last night and I have never in my life felt so excited and overjoyed about something I should probably be a little terrified of.  Uganda is a war ravaged country with an AIDS epidemic, and this trip is expensive, but none of that matters to me!  I know God is leading me there and I cannot wait to love on those precious children!  I am emotional now as I write just thinking about wrapping my arms around those kids and showing them God's love!!  I know there have been other times in my life that I have followed God's will and went where He led me, but never as much as I am now.  I know without a shadow of a doubt that this is exactly what I am supposed to do, and where I am supposed to go and I have never felt so perfectly in God's will.  A friend told me about a sermon they heard where the pastor asked the congregation to find what "breaks your heart for God".....I have found what breaks my heart for God...those kids!!  I know that this trip will change me, and I cannot wait to see what God does with my life from this point on.  Sure, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about it, or even a little scared, but I know that God will never give me more than I can handle, so in faith I will go!  James 1:27 says "Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble..."  That is the call, and I will answer it!  It is such an amazing feeling to know that I am doing what He has called me to do, and I am overjoyed that I get to be part of this amazing trip!  I know there is a lot ahead of me, getting time off work, raising money for the trip, preparing myself for this trip mentally, physically, emotionally, and most important spiritually, but I know that God will lead and guide me through this and I am so excited for the journey!!



I cannot wait to love on these kiddos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment