Yesterday was sort of a big day for me. I went to an informational meeting at Bethany Christian Services, which for those that don't know, is one of the largest and most experienced adoption agency's in the U.S. Adoption is something I've know I wanted to do since I was young, and for a long time I had sort of "put it in a box" so to speak thinking that it would just have to happen "someday" when I'm married. In the last year or so my thinking has really changed. God has opened my eyes and heart to the option of pursuing adoption as a single woman. I have been praying about it for some time now, and am still really praying and seeking his leading, but after this meeting yesterday I have decided to take a baby step toward pursuing adoption on my own. The meeting was so informative and made me feel so much more confident in pursuing something like this as a single woman, knowing that I will have an adoption specialist right there with me along the entire journey holding my hand and guiding me! So, after yesterdays informational session I have decided to submit a preliminary application for an international adoption. It's just a little baby step. Basically the preliminary application is just you, submitting your "official" interest in learning more, and perhaps going down the adoption road. There is no commitment involved, and no financial aspect to the preliminary application. It is, however, a way for me to see if this is even a viable option for me and if I'd even be approved to start the process. While it is just a baby step, it's still a really big step for me too! For quite awhile I've been a little unsure how "on board" my family would be if I decided to do this. I talked to my parents last night, and while they have some concerns (like any parent would) they are completely on board and supportive of me doing this! I know I shouldn't be surprised at all because I have been blessed with amazing parents that have never been anything but supportive of me! I realize that this won't be easy. There will be people in my life, friends, maybe even family, that will think I'm crazy or think I'm doing the wrong thing; people who may wonder why I would chose international adoption; and people who won't agree at all with me choosing to become a single mom. And, unfortunately, I also realize I may even lose a few "friends" over this, but I also know the people who choose to stay by me and support me are the ones I can truly call friends anyway! Even since I have been planning this trip and start talking and thinking about the idea of adoption on my own more I have noticed some change in how some people react to me. And that's ok. I say I will be pursuing this adoption on "my own", but I realize that I will not be alone at all! I will have my family, true there through the grit of life friends, and most importantly my Amazing God right there with me along the way! I am excited to see where God takes me on this journey!! I know it may be a very long one, with lots of curves and bumps along the way, but I am ready for the journey!! One little baby step at a time!!

No comments:
Post a Comment